Identify: Roger Montoya
POLITICAL Celebration: Democratic
Occupation: Artist/nonprofit founder
Metropolis OF Residence: Velarde
Related Working experience: 2018 CNN Hero, co-founder of Going Arts Española (2008) co-founder of Española Pathways Shelter (2019) co-founder of La Tierra Montessori College of the Arts and Sciences (2011) started ‘Arts in the Schools’ method for the Española Community Universities (2002)
Schooling: Extensive Beach front Metropolis College, A.A. attended California State Prolonged Beach
Campaign Website: rogerfornm.com
1. New Mexico is hugely reliant on the oil and all-natural fuel industries to create profits to fund state applications, as evidenced by new oil increase and bust cycles. What techniques should really the Legislature get to diversify the state’s economy and profits foundation?
An speedy change away from oil/gas would be a oversight. We will need a apparent transition to renewables — wind, solar and geothermal systems that follow science, handle local weather change and diversify our financial state. The fixation on hydrogen, which makes use of important drinking water and organic gasoline, is a phony option as carbon lowering technological know-how currently exists.
2. Throughout the past frequent legislative session, there was an unsuccessful push to make it a lot easier to keep sure defendants behind bars until demo. Must New Mexico legislation be improved to make it simpler to keep folks charged with violent offenses these types of as murder and very first-diploma kid abuse at the rear of bars until eventually trial?
The safety and nicely staying of just about every New Mexican is paramount. I believe that that violent offenders who commit heinous crimes this kind of as murder or initially-diploma kid abuse need to not be introduced before demo.
3. What methods should the Legislature consider to handle crime and community basic safety amid a rise in violent crime premiums?
The high amount crime prices ought to be dealt with with elevated legislation enforcement with a strategic concentrate on suitable instruction and compensation. We should also deliver an array of staff users with expertise in crisis intervention, social perform and mental/behavioral wellbeing. We must address the root bring about(s) of legal actions, aid neighborhood policing and Lead courses and let CPSWs to guidance people with addictions.
4. What improvements, if any, really should New Mexico make to its gross receipts tax code?
Our state is sitting down on report revenues. We will need a revamp of our tax code that delivers significant tax incentives for smaller organizations to thrive. I would suggest suspending the GRT for smaller and start up firms with significantly less than 10 staff members and getting rid of taxes that severely damage our rural communities.
5. New Mexico is at present the only condition that does not pay its legislators a wage, nevertheless lawmakers do get for each diem payments and can qualify for a legislative pension. Do you support or oppose a salaried Legislature and, if so, how a lot really should lawmakers be paid out?
I help a salaried legislature with compensated workers. As a legislator outside of leadership with experienced personnel, I program to introduce legislation that professionalizes our body. The lack of pay back for users of our entire body correlates to our state’s ranking throughout all sectors and bars good New Mexicans from serving.
6. What additional, if anything at all, should the Legislature do to deal with a courtroom ruling that discovered New Mexico is failing to provide a sufficient schooling to all learners, specifically Native Individuals and people who don’t communicate English as a initially language?
We have to structure programs that rejoice culturally and linguistically relevant curricula to replicate neighborhood institutions and communities. It is time our legislative entire body entirely money all tips of the Yazzie/Martinez case, embraces the tribal remedy framework and permits communities to have a position in the schooling of their young children.
7. What should really be the priority as New Mexico seeks to fortify its health treatment procedure? How must the condition address a scarcity of nurses and other wellness treatment workers?
We ought to uplift our wellness care technique and give voice to people who thoroughly understand the gaps and therapies expected. We must make early elementary, high college, faculty and twin credit rating plans to mobilize a new generation of wellbeing treatment suppliers and expose young minds to this flourishing market.
8. In latest yrs, New Mexico has steadily greater shelling out on early childhood plans, these types of as home going to, prekindergarten and youngster treatment aid, and designed a new early childhood belief fund. Do you assistance or oppose the proposed constitutional modification on the November ballot that would withdraw extra dollars from the state’s long lasting faculty fund to increase funding for early childhood services and K-12 education and learning?
Certainly I do. I have found the positive effects of prenatal parenting lessons — as a kid takes their to start with breath and following. This vital -3 yr period of childhood growth and development is when a youngster bonds with moms and dads or caregivers with genuine attachment. This necessary brain stimulation sets the stage for maximized lifestyle very long discovering.
9. In buy to address local climate alter and air quality issues, do you help or oppose laws limiting greenhouse fuel emissions and necessitating the state obtain internet-zero emissions by 2050?
Sure, I help this kind of laws.
10. New Mexico recently became the 17th condition to control and tax recreational cannabis gross sales? What, if any, adjustments do you believe that need to be made to the current law?
The present laws gave significant edge to big scale growers and producers around upstart business owners. I would like to see sources and technical aid for rural businesses to enter and thrive in this new field. I would like to see a percentage of income from cannabis taxation applied for youth progress systems that concentrate on 12-20 yrs previous.
11. Do you consider improvements really should be produced to the crisis powers held by a governor all through a pandemic or other time of disaster. If so, do you believe that these powers really should be expanded or decreased and in what certain methods?
I consider our governor should really have just about every device out there to preserve the inhabitants of New Mexico harmless throughout a time of crisis or in an unexpected emergency. COVID-19 was an unfamiliar problem none of us ended up prepared for. Limiting the governor’s authority at that time would have resulted in the deaths of extra New Mexicans.
12. What variations, if any, must New Mexico make to its election guidelines and principal system? Do you assistance or oppose opening the state’s most important elections to voters who are not affiliated with possibly major political party?
Certainly, I would help including independents and many others to participate in main elections.
13. Would you support a benefit-centered evaluation process to ascertain how the condition spends its money outlay funding?
I believe the capital outlay funding technique could benefit from a merit dependent process.
14. Do you aid or oppose authorizing an impartial redistricting commission to complete the at the time-per-ten years task of redrawing New Mexico’s political boundary lines?
Sure, but only if we could ensure that the unbiased physique was in fact unbiased.
Individual track record
1. Have you or your company, if you are a small business proprietor, ever been the subject of any condition or federal tax liens?
Yes. I have paid out off a particular point out earnings tax lien of $8,200.
2. Have you ever been involved in a particular or business enterprise individual bankruptcy proceeding?
3. Have you ever been arrested for, billed with, or convicted of drunken driving, any misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other point out? If so, clarify.